Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Iron Maiden - Cross Eyed Mary



I have a special appreciation for cover versions. There's something about hearing an old song in a new light or seeing how one of your favorite bands re-interperets another. Here, Iron Maiden pays tribute to one of their forebears, Jethro Tull. The song was a B-side from the Piece of Mind era and got significant radio airplay. In fact, it was many Americans' first exposure to Maiden. It was popular enough that promoters begged the band to release it as a single, but they declined, not wanting to give the wrong impression of the band just for some quick success. This was probably the smart move as Maiden would go on to be well respected without much radio support and better known for their own compositions like The Trooper and Two Minutes to Midnight. A quarter-centurty on, most people don't even know about this cover.

18 comments:

  1. Two Minutes to Midnight was awesome. I wish they made more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'e never heard this version. But I like it. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Tune an a half! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love iron maiden shits tight
    dmaynenet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have good musical tastes man, sweet song, good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you guys like Iron Maiden, because you'll be reading plenty about them (and metal in general) on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Metal is my fave overall, I really like technical metal and melodical metal best. In the heavier stuff (harsh vocals), I have a real love affair with Gorod. Ever heard of them? They're on Youtube

    ReplyDelete
  8. God damn i love NWOBHM!! Maiden ftw, Stranger and in a strange land, the evil that men do, holy smoke. Those where the days man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha how ironic! THIS is my first real exposure to Iron Maiden... and I like it! Thanks for showing me a new-old band to love... and eventually bitch about how they sold out. (Goddam hipsters...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iron Maiden is ok.. Not really my type but I understand why it's appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the first blogger I've met to post a Maiden song. I... I love you ,_,

    ReplyDelete